• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 04:52:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 171
Total: 171

Appalling

Started by b125killer, May 04, 2013, 08:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I have had a interesting few days, My friend Dan has a friend that bought out a fish room. This person payed way too much for a bunch of crap and doesn't even know how to take care of fish. Me and Dan went there Friday this guy wanted to sell me some angels. I haven't seen such sick fish in a long time. he had around 30 angels a bunch of frontosa and other cichlids that shouldn't be in the same tank all in a 200 gallon tank. The worst thing is he had 8 55's just sitting there with one or two random fish in it, In all he got 40 tanks plus some fish. All the tanks haven't had a water change in a long time, plus we was over feeding everything. He has 4 discus that he wants to breed all in a ten gallon tank, that tank had around 1/2 inch of old food on the bottom of the tank. Also they where the smallest nastiest sickly discus I have ever seen. Me and Dan went there today to help this guy out we did water changes on all his tanks and split everything up in the 200. we got the discus into a 55 and set up some breeding pair of angels and plecos for him. He wanted to see my angel fry so we went to my house to see the fish. I was telling him what it takes to care for the fry, he said that's way too much work. He doesn't even want to hatch the brine shrimp for fry. This guy just wants to make money from the fish but doesn't understand the work it takes to raise the fry. I told him he needs to cull all the sick angels and the nasty sick discus. He said that he couldn't because they might get better And he wants to breed them. There is no hope for some people. Maybe when this guy fails I can pick up some chip tanks.
Scott

Mugwump

I've bumped into a few like that....I lost their phone number quickly...it's a shame for the fish, they deserve better......don't even think of taking in some fish to save them.....the disease will likely wipe you out.....sad.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Yep, I wouldn't even want to take the time to set up a Q.T. tank for them. Some of his angels looked like they got punched in the mouth. there lips where all puffy and looked like fungus growing on them. I was a little jealous. he could have the beginnings of a good fish room.
I didn't even mention the electrical. He has it all running on two breakers, They keep tripping and on the front of the stands just under the tanks where electrical outlets. There was one point where the extension cord he was using started to melt. He's also using a craftsmen air  compressor that you could fry a egg on. It's been running non stop for a month. He's was trying to get a electrician out there. I'm sure the poor electrician would have a heart attack.
Scott

ilroost

I hate to even read stuff like this. There is no hope for some people

Mugwump

If it's who I think it is..??...his dad bought it all for him to get started...I know the guy that closed his fishroom, and he'd scream if he knew about it.....those 'were' some pretty decent fish..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

It sounds like the same person. I don't know who bought it for him. I don't think the person that ponied up the cash for him has seen what he has done with it. Dan is going to work with him to see if he can or wants to learn about his new endeavor. He is young, maybe Dan can help. The down side to that is Dan has little patience for stupidity.
Scott

BallAquatics

Quote from: b125killer on May 05, 2013, 12:25:29 PM
..... The down side to that is Dan has little patience for stupidity.

As someone of the same mind-set, I don't see this as a down-side.    ;D ;D ;D

When I was very young, my Grampa told me, "Once you learn to read, you can teach yourself how to do almost anything."  I've lived by that and it's true.  There's nothing special about me, if I can do it, anybody can.  In other words, this guy has no excuse for being stupid about something he wants to do!

Dennis

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

If it was handed to him on a silver platter as you say, he may not be motivated enough to learn.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Surely he expressed some interest..... if not, then I guess "Stupid" would fall to the parents.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Expressing an interest and having a passion for it are two different things.  If he thinks that raising BBS for fry is too much work, I don't see passion.  I hope that I am wrong.  We need young people.  My feeling is that someone will be getting a good deal on tanks and equipment in the future.  Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Lotsa tanks. yeppers....just boil em.... ;D
Jon

b125killer

Liz is right If you have everything handed to you you just don't have the same motivation. I have to work hard for the things I have and I'm going to do the best that I can to make sure I do it right. I worry almost everyday that I might screw something up. This kid doesn't have that. If he screws it up he'll just be on to the next stupid ideal. I'm sure he doesn't have the passion or the drive to be an aquarists
Scott

BallAquatics

I guess it's just a matter of perspective.  My parents were very supportive of me and no doubt I have achieved some things in life that would probably not have been possible without that support.  I guess the difference being, when I was handed the ball, I ran with it!

Dennis

b125killer

There is a difference between supportive parents helping you achieve your goals and ones that just give you everything you want because they can And once you have gotten it you neglect it or lose interest in it. If it's just the goal of making money on fish they should of just opened a fish store, that way they could get bulk fish to sell. and be like every other LFS around.
It's not my intent on getting rich off my fish. They are just as much my pets as my cat and dogs. I also treat them just as good as my other pets.  If I make a little money on the side from the off offspring that's great. I give more fish and equipment away than anything. It makes my wife a little upset but she knows that's how I am. I don't think I would give or sell any of my fish to this guy. I know I can't control how people are but I can control who gets my fish. I would rather give them away to someone that wants to try and give them a good home.

Scott