• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 10:08:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 166
Total: 167

Chicks

Started by LizStreithorst, May 12, 2017, 04:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...great pics !....they're getting big fast.....how long to maturity  huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

They start laying at around 6 months.  They're just 2 1/2 months right now.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

The chicks, they won't be chickens until they start to lay, have been enjoying all the rain we've had.  When it's raining they stay inside the chicken house with well balanced commercial food free choice.  When it quits raining they go out and snag the red wigglers that come to the surface if the soil so they can breath.  I've watched them hunt for worms.  The big ones are better at it that the smaller ones because they know how to find the best food.  At least that's what I think.  Then the young tender grass crickets hatch out.  I've never caught them catching a cricket but I'm sure they do.  I bet they catch all kinds of weird stuff that I don't even know about.  Life is good now for them.

The chick that I thought was a rooster is a hen.  She's my best looking hen.  I like her conformation.  She stands tall and has almost no back like a show chicken of her breed.  I spotted the rooster when he started growing wattles.  So far I consider him to be average in conformation.  He is still quite young.  He might change but I won't count on it.  If one of my hens goes broody I know whose eggs I will stick under her.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 24, 2017, 04:21:34 PM
The chicks, they won't be chickens until they start to lay, have been enjoying all the rain we've had.  When it's raining they stay inside the chicken house with well balanced commercial food free choice.  When it quits raining they go out and snag the red wigglers that come to the surface if the soil so they can breath.  I've watched them hunt for worms.  The big ones are better at it that the smaller ones because they know how to find the best food.  At least that's what I think.  Then the young tender grass crickets hatch out.  I've never caught them catching a cricket but I'm sure they do.  I bet they catch all kinds of weird stuff that I don't even know about.  Life is good now for them.

The chick that I thought was a rooster is a hen.  She's my best looking hen.  I like her conformation.  She stands tall and has almost no back like a show chicken of her breed.  I spotted the rooster when he started growing wattles.  So far I consider him to be average in conformation.  He is still quite young.  He might change but I won't count on it.  If one of my hens goes broody I know whose eggs I will stick under her.

Those nice looking chicks are really getting nice and big, Liz. Great job. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

.....soon you'll have delicious fresh eggs.....MMMMmmmmm....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I got a nice shot of Mr. Pecker this afternoon.

Mugwump

...very nice..... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

The dang chickens have me trained.  Just before the 4th of July weekend I went to the feed store and got 50 lbs of dog, 50 lbs. of horse, and 50 lbs. of chick starter.  When I opened the chick starter it was "scratch".  I looked for the tag and there was no tag.  Pissed me off because I know that scratch has little nutritional value and I wouldn't be going back to town for 4 days!  I had no choice, I filled their feeder with it.

They Adore that stuff!!!!!!  These are free range chicks with good quality commercial food free choice but they couldn't get enough of that crappy scratch.  12 chicks ate 2 1/2 gallons of it in 4 days!

My next work day I went to the feed store, told them what happened, and asked to get a bag of chick starter for the price of scratch.  No big deal.  The big deal is that I started throwing the chicks several handfuls of scratch after work every day.  They love it so much that they will eat it out of my hand!  Chickens are afraid of everything.  They are easy targets for predators.  Mine have the free range of as many acres as they want to explore but I the only open space I ever see them in is in my front yard.  I'm happy that they have good instincts but the scratch will help them be unafraid of me.  I just wish that when they didn't get their scratch as soon as I get home they wouldn't come to the front door begging for it!

chickens are a hoot.

Tony44

Well at least you won't have to chase them just scatter some and they will keep following u lol
RIGHT TURN CLYDE

Mugwump

...I'd love to watch you feed your full crew...I'll bet it's a hoot... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

It's fun for a country bumpkin like me.  Don't think that city folk would find it interesting.