• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 09:07:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 178
Total: 178

Chicks

Started by LizStreithorst, May 12, 2017, 04:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

During good weather I've been putting the chicks outside in the back yard during the day and bringing them back inside to their cages at night.  They are fine in the cages but chickens need to be chickens.  They can be real chickens when they're outside.  I feel bad enough for having kept them enclosed for all this time.

They all hang together more or less.  They peck at the weeds and at the dirt.  They scratch around to see if they might find a treat.  They're fun to watch.  I'd snap a pic but the yard outside my fish room looks like white trash lives here :-[  I have to scoop them up and put them in their inside containers in the evening, before WC.  I don't want a nocturnal predator to  chow down on them. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 12, 2017, 04:06:00 PM
During good weather I've been putting the chicks outside in the back yard during the day and bringing them back inside to their cages at night.  They are fine in the cages but chickens need to be chickens.  They can be real chickens when they're outside.  I feel bad enough for having kept them enclosed for all this time.

They all hang together more or less.  They peck at the weeds and at the dirt.  They scratch around to see if they might find a treat.  They're fun to watch.  I'd snap a pic but the yard outside my fish room looks like white trash lives here :-[  I have to scoop them up and put them in their inside containers in the evening, before WC.  I don't want a nocturnal predator to  chow down on them.

....would they eat crickets if you caught 'em ?....that'd be a  hoot watching them hop after them... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I bet they would go crazy for them. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 12, 2017, 05:01:54 PM
I bet they would go crazy for them.

+1.....you should see Sassy hop when she's hunting them down.....hilarious  :)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

I built some yard cages that are just a frame of chicken wire with an open side. The open side sits on the ground so they can peck at the real thing. You move it over a few feet every day so they have fresh dirt and grass.
Dan

ilroost

Don't know if I missed it, but what breed of chickens did you get? Right now I have Spitzhaubens

LizStreithorst

11 Light Bramah's (1 rooster and 10 pullets) and 2 Buff Brahma's (straight run).

BallAquatics

What's a pullets Liz?

Dennis

LizStreithorst

it's a young female.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 13, 2017, 07:43:43 AM
it's a young female.

Thanks Liz, my Gallus gallus domesticus terminology is not what it should be.   ;)

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 13, 2017, 07:56:56 AM
it's a young female.

Thanks Liz, my Gallus gallus domesticus terminology is not what it should be.   ;)

Dennis

....LOL...I looked it up too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken
Jon

ilroost

Nice, the Brahma's are good looking chickens. Back in the day my wife was showing bantam blue Cochins.

waterboy

Quote from: Mugwump on May 13, 2017, 08:01:27 AM
it's a young female.

Dennis

What a bunch of city slickers, don't know what a pullet is. LOL :)
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

wallace

I've been around chickens all my life and I don't think I've ever heard a chicken called a pullet. But I rarely hear people call female dogs bitches, it seems like only dog people use that word and it always surprises me a little when I hear it. My wife thinks there is something wrong with me because I never pay attention to the gender of animals, I refer to them as 'he' or 'she' randomly and get it wrong half the time.
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on May 13, 2017, 10:18:57 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on May 13, 2017, 08:01:27 AM
it's a young female.

Dennis

What a bunch of city slickers, don't know what a pullet is. LOL :)

....I've had pullet eggs....and I knew they were small chickens.....but never knew that the 'small' was was only temporary til they aged and grew to be normal chicken....

...now I learned something..........cool |^|
Jon