• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 03:19:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 199
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 198
Total: 198

If I were to pick one species of fish to raise and sell...

Started by Ron Sower, May 10, 2017, 04:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...excluding the killies and bettas....what would you plan to get, as far as the number of tanks and their uses? I'm thinking 'way out into the fall for this project and if I set up a fish room, I'd like to have it as efficient as possible. Any help will be appreciated...! TIA....
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

..cories and BN never go out of style.....neither takes up a whole lot of tanks.....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It depends on the market where you live and whether you are willing to advertise and ship.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Get some high-end plecos.  Dead easy to spawn and there is always a market for them.

Depending on what you get, you can also keep some very interesting small fish in the same tank with them.

Dennis

GeorgeG

At the Killie club meeting this Saturday May 13th we should have these fish available for sale. They all came in from the Michigan club this week.

Epiplatys annulatus   
Fundulopanchax gardneri Gold 
Fundulopanchax walkeri Orange   
Fundulopanchax oeseri   
Fundulopanchax filamentosum Ijebu Ode   
Nothobranchius guentheri   
Aphyosemion ogoense GHP 80-24   
Aphyosemion pyrophore Komono Yellow   
Aphyosemion cognatum Congo CI 2015   

Ron Sower

Quote from: GeorgeG on May 10, 2017, 07:05:54 PM
At the Killie club meeting this Saturday May 13th we should have these fish available for sale. They all came in from the Michigan club this week.

Epiplatys annulatus   
Fundulopanchax gardneri Gold 
Fundulopanchax walkeri Orange   
Fundulopanchax oeseri   
Fundulopanchax filamentosum Ijebu Ode   
Nothobranchius guentheri   
Aphyosemion ogoense GHP 80-24   
Aphyosemion pyrophore Komono Yellow   
Aphyosemion cognatum Congo CI 2015   

Where is the meeting this time, George? I'll be back in Florence tomorrow night.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Thanks guys & gal...
I'm going to ask you for a little more advice regarding a set-up.  I plan to build a shed...it'll have about 10' x 10' alloted to the fish and plants, and probably raise not more than two fish species at a time (lack of room). The last time I had a bona-fide fish room was in my late 20s-early 30s, and honestly, I want a better set up than that one.

An important question is, if I'm going to raise a couple species of fish , how many tanks do you think I'd need, and what size, and for what stages of growth?  It appears that a number of people will grow out more than one species or litter in a tank. I'd like to start with what is practical so I'll know how to build the shed and racks. Also, I'm going to need to figure out a drain and fill system with which I know you guys have good experience.... |^| :D

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 10, 2017, 05:49:41 PM
It depends on the market where you live and whether you are willing to advertise and ship.
I think I will start out locally and if I grow too many, maybe start shipping. I'm not looking to make a lot of money at it. It's almost impossible. It's a hobby for me and I want to keep it that way. I'll ship plants anytime; they're much easier.

Quote from: Mugwump on May 10, 2017, 05:21:13 PM
..cories and BN never go out of style.....neither takes up a whole lot of tanks.....

...Love cories...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

GeorgeG

We will gather at Denny's Restaurant in Tempe on the southeast corner of Rural Road and SR-60.  If you would like to buy dinner and socialize before the meeting, plan to arrive about 6 PM.  The official meeting will start at 7 PM.  Just a reminder, there is no fee to attend and participate.

Ron Sower

Quote from: GeorgeG on May 10, 2017, 07:46:03 PM
We will gather at Denny's Restaurant in Tempe on the southeast corner of Rural Road and SR-60.  If you would like to buy dinner and socialize before the meeting, plan to arrive about 6 PM.  The official meeting will start at 7 PM.  Just a reminder, there is no fee to attend and participate.
Thank you, George. I'm going to make the effort to be there. A friend of mine in the Seattle Club raised killies for awhile and I started some Fundulopanchax and had several spawns with them in a tank full of guppy grass. I'd like to learn how you guys breed and raise them...that is, if you don't keep secrets...!!!!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

George...if you have a coulture could you bring me a start of microworms on Saturday?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

GeorgeG

I don't have one but I can see if someone dose and post to bring it.

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

GeorgeG

OK an email was sent to all members who have a live culture to bring some Saturday if they can spare a bit..
George

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GeorgeG

Interested in having a pond? The Greater Phoenix Pond Society is holding its annual pond tour this Saturday and it is FREE. To obtain a map of the pond locations, go to

http://phoenixponds.com/