• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 01:18:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 123
Total: 124

Neutering a small dog

Started by LizStreithorst, April 28, 2017, 04:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

My little dude Bruno is now sexually mature.  The nuts have to go because he runs free and those nuts will only get him killed by large in tact dogs.   I called my main veterinarian.  Guess what it cost for a neuter on an 18 lb. dog?  It costs $215!!!!  Heck I could to the job myself if I had access to the knock out drugs!!!!!  I have used the spay/neuter clinic before.  They are meticulous.  They do an outstanding job, and they are dirt cheap.  I hate to not use my good vet, but $215 is way too much to charge for such a simple procedure.  And that's all I have to say about that!
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 28, 2017, 04:49:25 PM
My little dude Bruno is now sexually mature.  The nuts have to go because he runs free and those nuts will only get him killed by large in tact dogs.   I called my main veterinarian.  Guess what it cost for a neuter on an 18 lb. dog?  It costs $215!!!!  Heck I could to the job myself if I had access to the knock out drugs!!!!!  I have used the spay/neuter clinic before.  They are meticulous.  They do an outstanding job, and they are dirt cheap.  I hate to not use my good vet, but $215 is way too much to charge for such a simple procedure.  And that's all I have to say about that!

...you got that right.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Tony44

Some shelters do it cheaper. Or put a rubber band around them they will fall off
RIGHT TURN CLYDE

LizStreithorst

Rubber bands can be used on goats and calves.  I've used them on baby goats and know from experience that whacking off the lower 1/4 of the scrotum and pulling out the nuts by hand is easier on the animal than the rubber band.  With the rubber bands the poor animal walks around in pain for 4 days.

With dogs the best way is to push the  nuts up to where they're out of the scrotum and take them out there.  It's easy peasy.   You can't neuter a pig with rubber bands and can't neuter a cat with rubber band.  I imagine that I could do a dog that way but I would rather burn in hell than to put Bruno through that much pain.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Tony44

My grandfather was a pig farmer in sorthern il they use to hold them up by the tail cut the sack then take nuts out then some black stuff that looked like tar was put on sack and that was it
RIGHT TURN CLYDE

Barb

Oh the things one can learn on a fish forum!  I learned 2 things today.  One how to neuter various animals, and two how a Japanese Maple tree is grown by graft.
Barb

Tony44

The anti cruelty society of Chicago does low cost neuter and spays  they have good vets had a couple done there and no problems
RIGHT TURN CLYDE