• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 01:36:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 125
Total: 125

The mutiny starts

Started by b125killer, April 26, 2013, 08:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Sounds good, I rinse, and wipe mine out too....every time... 80 deg is a good temp....don't let that temp creep too high......try for 70-80.....and if you're harvesting around the same time every day, that would be about 22hrs, give or take......perfect.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I'm trying to keep the harvest time around 7am. maybe it's a little to warm for them there temps are holding in the low 80s. Michelle thinks I'm losing it. I haven't made any changes in my sleeping pattern for the fish until I got the hatchery going. I think it surprised her to see me get up that early to make sure the fry get feed. I also been calling them my babies, She may be onto something.  ;D
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on April 29, 2013, 09:03:08 AM
I'm trying to keep the harvest time around 7am. maybe it's a little to warm for them there temps are holding in the low 80s. Michelle thinks I'm losing it. I haven't made any changes in my sleeping pattern for the fish until I got the hatchery going. I think it surprised her to see me get up that early to make sure the fry get feed. I also been calling them my babies, She may be onto something.  ;D

Well, they are your babies..... ;D....I figured she'd be down there too....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Things are still going good. They are getting a little bigger. You can tell that there not just little white things in the water.
Michelle was interested for about 5 minutes. when they start to look more like angelfish and less like dots she'll be interested for another 5 minutes. LOL 
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on May 01, 2013, 09:00:47 AM
Things are still going good. They are getting a little bigger. You can tell that there not just little white things in the water.
Michelle was interested for about 5 minutes. when they start to look more like angelfish and less like dots she'll be interested for another 5 minutes. LOL

LOL.....are you starting a pic/vid album of their progress ??...a breeding log ??..A log can be done in notepad and can be valuable for reference, plus when you cross or pair these up, you'll have a lineage history available....spawn dates, hatch dates, genotype count results, etc....
Jon

b125killer

I do have some what of a breeding log. I have there spawn date, when they started wiggling and when they were free swimming. I still don't have a good count on them. they just wont stay still for me to count them. I have around 25 to 30 at last count but it keeps going up and down. How long before they start to take there shape? 
Scott

Mugwump

About a couple weeks for first seeing signs of spikes....I'm glad that they're doing well. Do you have a 10 gal set up for them?...The parents may decide to spawn again soon, the fry will gp after the new eggs, and it may, or may, not upset the parents....aka *gulp*....best to be prepared...seeded sponge?? for the 10gal??....20gal will work too....

back in a bit....off for an errand.. ;D

Jon

b125killer

I always have a seeded sponge or two. I never know when I'm going to start another tank. I'm not to sure if the 10 gallon will be ready for them. I have to figure out what to do with the fish that is in there. I do have a few new 20 gallons that I could set up for them. I would like to get them in the smaller tank. and save the 20 gallon for the sunset and koi that just spawned in the community tank.   
Scott

BallAquatics

Quote from: b125killer on May 03, 2013, 07:26:41 AM
I still don't have a good count on them. they just wont stay still for me to count them.

The easiest way to count fry is to take a photo and then count them.  I just open the photo with GIMP and put a red tick mark through them as I count, (keeps me from counting them twice).

Dennis

b125killer

That's a great ideal Dennis I'll have to do that Thanks.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on May 03, 2013, 07:50:10 AM
I always have a seeded sponge or two. I never know when I'm going to start another tank. I'm not to sure if the 10 gallon will be ready for them. I have to figure out what to do with the fish that is in there. I do have a few new 20 gallons that I could set up for them. I would like to get them in the smaller tank. and save the 20 gallon for the sunset and koi that just spawned in the community tank.   

I might have an extra 10 that you can use....if you need it..??
Jon

b125killer

I'm going to be moving some things around to clear out my ten. I will be moving the fry today. I think the parents might be snacking on them. But they do tend to hide in the plant's, It's hard for me to tell. I still don't have a good count on them. They are getting bigger, Just need there own house now. I'll post a new pic of them in there new home later.
Scott

b125killer

I got them moved to there new home. I don't think they liked it. I know the parents didn't like it at all. I did manage to kill a few fry in the move, I'm not to sure why. I used almost 75% of there tank water for the new tank. and the temp was with in a few degrees. I also have a few pleco fry in there too. Is that okay or should I get them out? Should I still keep the light on all the time? it is on now I'm not sure if it's okay to turn off yet. I also put the moss that was in there old tank in there. I tried to count them from the pic but I think there some double counting from the reflection on the bottom. There is around 30 to 35 fry there.

Scott

Mugwump

The small bn fry will help keep the uneaten food cleaned up, snails work too. I'd leave the light on for a few days. You can scoot it over a bit to dim the tank a little. It'll give them a chance to settle in first.
Jon

BallAquatics

They are looking good!

Dennis