• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 08:58:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 292
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 293
Total: 293

The mutiny starts

Started by b125killer, April 26, 2013, 08:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

there all free swimming now. Mama still trying to stick them back to the slate. the fry want nothing to do with it anymore.
I have the brine shrimp started but there not ready yet. I will try there first feeding tomorrow morning.
Scott

b125killer

technically it the morning so I feed the fry. It took them I minute to figure out what it was but they did start to eat it. How long do I have to feed them shrimp before i can start other foods? 
Scott

Mugwump

Give them a couple weeks before trying crushed flake,etc....but you can feed them micro worms now, too....a little variety....plus the micro worms survive longer in the tank water. I look for spikes showing that the finage is developing.....then.... Try just a touch og the 'egg foo young' or 'egg foo duck'...it's very fine and small....my Koi batches take to it early....then progress to the crushed flake.

That's a good vid, and a beautiful sight to see.....your breeding journey has begun....enjoy.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wiggs

Rember, watch for tanks a garage sales! I just bought 2 more tanks for Jon yesterday. 1 10gal with everything ( light, filter, ect. ) and a 20 gal. with gravel, light, filter, and other stuff. Alot cheaper then the store, needs a little cleaning, but not much they were in good shape. the man said that on Friday he had a 65gal. bowfront and 4- 29 gals for sale and they went fast.  He does salts,  I said darn! I missed them, because I was a work.   
Jan

b125killer

Every one got to est and things are going good. the parents were even eating the brine. so I decided to give some to the rams too. they were like kids in a candy store. And I still have plenty left over for tonights  feeding. I like to look on craigslist for used tanks. It saves me from having to go to garage sales. Lately people done lost there mind and want way too much for there tanks on craigslist.   
Scott

Mugwump

Garage sales are more fun.... ;D

I have a mint Linda McCartney photo album of celebs and rock stars, picked it up for $2....early photos of rocks best.....Stones, Morrison, Eagles, Clapton, etal......a great find.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I'm surprised at how much faster the parents are at eating the bbs, With there speed and i'm going to kill it attitude they will plunge  in too the swarm and miss ever fry.
Scott

Mugwump

It's an invasion of their space....but they like the bbs too....and yep....real good aim.. :o
Jon

BallAquatics

I think it's funny to watch BIG fish eat bbs.  I guess they are like fishy Hershey Kisses...  LOL

Dennis

b125killer

I know what you mean, I was surprised my self seeing them big angels going after such tiny food. It did get me to thinking that the other fish would like some too. after all I get way more shrimp from one batch that I could use. So far the rams and guppies love the stuff. The other angels in the big tank didn't care too much. But there is a stronger current in there tank so the shrimp get washed all over quickly. I also have been giving some to the BN fry. they seem to enjoy it but not as much as frenzy.   
Scott

BallAquatics

Quote from: b125killer on April 28, 2013, 09:39:26 PM
..... after all I get way more shrimp from one batch that I could use.....

I normally use the Grade A eggs.  Brine Shrimp Direct guarantees a minimum hatch-out of 225,000 nauplii (baby brine shrimp) per gram of cysts following a 24 hour incubation period.  If you had a tank with 1000 fry, that would be 225 bbs per fry..... that's a lot of shrimp!  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Yep, my last lb of eggs was from Brine Shrimp direct.....those are the eggs that Scott's using....
I get eggs from Jehmco too, on occasion.....they have good eggs at a good price....
Jon

b125killer

I'm not to sure what I did to this last batch of shrimp but it wasn't as big as the first. I don't think I put in enough salt. I'm not to sure. I did get a lot of shrimp but not as much. This batch I put in a little more salt. it was still better that the first batch from the LFS.
The fry are doing good. I think that papa is fed up with me doing water changes he was attacking the hose, bubbles, duckweed and anything else he didn't think should be around them. He's not going to like it when it comes time to pull his fry. 
Scott

Mugwump

Keep the bbs hatchery things real clean....plus, sometimes a hour or so can make a difference in what you see in a harvest...if your temp is good, harvesting at around 18-20 hrs should be perfect..sooner for the smaller bew hatched bbs,etc...plus if you're making it with cooler water, it takes a longer time to get to optimum temp..... ;D..extending the time a bit....then if you harvest earlier, there's not as many and/or they're smaller
Jon

b125killer

I have the temps around 82. I'll let it go longer if I get the same results. How are you cleaning your hatchery? I have been rinsing mine out with hot water and wipe it out then fill it up to see if there is anything left in there. If I don't see any shrimp I start another batch.   
Scott