• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 12:42:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 180
Total: 180

Just got a call from Scott

Started by Mugwump, April 21, 2013, 05:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Seems that his Sta Isabel/Rio/Negros are starting to parent raise....they've even moved the wiggles.....Yahooooo...they're on their way....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

shatanka

Are these that Scott has, related to yours?

Mugwump

Quote from: shatanka on April 21, 2013, 06:24:36 PM
Are these that Scott has, related to yours?

His parent fish are from my original selection that I got.... ;D... yes, they're a brother and sister of my pair....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

shatanka

That's neat! You can compare your fry from each batch and take notes (so to speak! lol)  I hope you can all post pics of all of your comparisons?

b125killer

I'm so Happy today I could pee my self. Your right Jon, I was watching them do there thing and I seen mama spit out about 5 wigglers from her mouth. I didn't even know she had them in there. It's nice that there getting the hang of parent raising but I wanted to move there tank this weekend. I seen them spawn Friday. I didn't pull this spawn because the fish room was half way done. I also had a feeling this would be the spawn that they did there best at. It seems they know when I want to mess around with there tank.     
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on April 21, 2013, 09:13:01 PM
I'm so Happy today I could pee my self. Your right Jon, I was watching them do there thing and I seen mama spit out about 5 wigglers from her mouth. I didn't even know she had them in there. It's nice that there getting the hang of parent raising but I wanted to move there tank this weekend. I seen them spawn Friday. I didn't pull this spawn because the fish room was half way done. I also had a feeling this would be the spawn that they did there best at. It seems they know when I want to mess around with there tank.   

Parent raisers can drive you nuts sometimes, with the playing 'hide and seek' with the fry...but it's really nice to watch. I had a pair that raised in a tank full of water sprite...the fry were hanging off like a scene from 'Apocalyse Now'.....LOL...all spit up in amongst the plant in little strings... ;D
Jon

b125killer

That would of been neat to see them in all the water sprite. So far everything is going good. I did feed the parents a little today. they eat it up like they haven't eaten in three days. Oh wait they haven't. I do wounder if me not feeding them after the spawn helped out.
When should I start the BBs? I don't want to be caught off guard and not have food for the fry. Also How long will the shrimp last. I know it takes around 24 hours for the shrimp to hatch. This will be my first time hatching the brine shrimp. 
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on April 22, 2013, 08:28:47 AM
That would of been neat to see them in all the water sprite. So far everything is going good. I did feed the parents a little today. they eat it up like they haven't eaten in three days. Oh wait they haven't. I do wounder if me not feeding them after the spawn helped out.
When should I start the BBs? I don't want to be caught off guard and not have food for the fry. Also How long will the shrimp last. I know it takes around 24 hours for the shrimp to hatch. This will be my first time hatching the brine shrimp.

Start the bbs when you first see free swimmers....by the time you get a batch, they should all be free swimming.....feed VERY lightly for the first several times, don't feel sorry for them and feed them too much....they still have egg sacs to use for a day or so.....I start a new batch of bbs when I harvest one, you can use the harvest for a days meals...the use the next/new batch the next day,etc....I have a smaller tupperware container that I store a harvest in...holes punched on top and kept in the fridge between feedings....I recommend using an eye dropper for feeding, for the first few days. You want them to eat it all and have no leftovers. BBS doesn't live long in a tank, and turns to bacteria quickly...
Over the first week you can observe them and adjust portions accordingly. Also, you'll likely have a few casualties....remove them, the parents should take care of that for you tho...
Your first batch of bbs should be about 1/4 tsp....that's plenty....trust me..LOL..a little makes a lot...any extras feed your guppies, they love it too...... ;D
Note, bbs loses any real food value as the day goes by....I use most all of mine within 6-8 hrs....you can use microworms too, after that.....the worms live longer in water and give them a chance to forage a bit....again...feed lightly.....a little dot of worms is tons...LOL...I've even put the worms in a small bathroom dixie cup with a little tank water and used the dropper to feed...easier to gauge how much you're actually feeding.....

PS..call me and Ill walk you through your first batch....and/or.....do some trial bbs hatchings.. ;D
Jon

ilroost