• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 01:03:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 173
Total: 174

The hummingbirds are back

Started by LizStreithorst, March 24, 2017, 03:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I saw my first one Monday, the first day of Spring, and put my feeders up the same day.  I have a male and a female so far.  Judy up the road, saw her first one last week one day and put feeders up.  She has 2 males and a female.

The earliest of my wild flowers are blooming.  I have wild Snapdragons and 5 Spot.  The honey bees are all over my  5 spot.

I'm wanting to plant veggies and flowers.  The weather has been warm for so long that it feels like winter is in the past.  I've been wearing shorts and a tank top all week.  I will control myself.  There is still the possibility of a hard freeze.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...we have robins and bees here too....bees all over Jan's early bloomers in the front flower beds......we hit 80deg's today, but the temps are falling now, as it's overcast and the rain will be in here in an hour, or so.... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

The Robins have been here for a couple of weeks. Haven't seen the bees but the dandelions are spreading rapidly. It won't be long before the flies are buzzing around.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

sschind

I heard my first chorus frogs calling on Wednesday.  Spring is here.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

waterboy

Crocuses are blooming and I saw a Robin on the lawn so things are looking up.  The hummingbirds won't be here for another month.  I usually get everything planted by the first of May, but even that is pushing it as some years I have to replace frozen off pepper plants.  After hot weather yesterday (70s) we are back to normal (40s) but it should be starting to slowly warm up.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

I miss crocuses.  They don't grow down south here.  We have robins year  round.  They can't find worms in the winter.  They eat berries in the winter.  I hear the frogs singing whenever we have several warm days in a row despite the time of year.  I think they slow their metabolism way down but never actually hibernate.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 25, 2017, 03:26:21 PM
I miss crocuses.  They don't grow down south here.  We have robins year  round.  They can't find worms in the winter.  They eat berries in the winter.  I hear the frogs singing whenever we have several warm days in a row despite the time of year.  I think they slow their metabolism way down but never actually hibernate.

...had a few in your fish room one time, didn't you ?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Yes.  I had the small green tree frogs as fish room guests.  It was cool.

wsantia1

I keep getting the frogs in my egress window in the basement. If I don't rescue them they roast to death. I even rescued a garter snake from there last year.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.