• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 06:23:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 137
Total: 137

New "Dots"

Started by wallace, March 21, 2017, 04:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I knew you'd know, Mr. Spock.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

These gourami fry are much easier to see than Ram fry. I went ahead and fed the Golden Pearls but this time I'll leave both parents in there and see. I have too much going on ATM to start another tank and I want to keep the tank they are in sequestered from the others.

Pop is keeping the female at the other end of the tank, and so far he is doing his job.

Dan

LizStreithorst

wallace

There were around 200 fry to begin with, and there are I would guess still about 50 left. The Dad chases the mom fish back behind the filter whenever she ventures out. I wish I had a pair of rams this good.
Dan

LizStreithorst

I think that these worthless Dots are the most elegant, beautiful, gentle fish.  They are under appreciated because the ones at the fish stores haven't matured and colored up, and they produce gazillions of fry.  Are you using the kids as live food or just letting the parents pick them off?  I want so much to breed them again but it would be like flushing money needlessly, like breeding Discus is.

I have 6 adult Dots left of all the millions I started with.  They're all in my 125 planted tank at the shop. 

wallace

I have always liked them too. I didn't feed the fry to anything, maybe next time.

They just spawned again, 14 days from the last time. I don't see any fry at the moment, so they must have gobbled them up today. At this rate I could theoretically produce 300 or 400 per month from this one pair if I was to put a little effort into it. But then what?
Dan

ilroost

Are those pearl Gourami's? Those are kinda neat looking fish

wallace

Quote from: ilroost on April 09, 2017, 08:35:47 PM
Are those pearl Gourami's? Those are kinda neat looking fish

Yep, Pearl Gouramis. Neato fish.

I found something surprising last night. There are two Gourami fry in my filter tank. I have a small tank where I keep unused or soon-to-be used sponge filters. I feed ammonia every day to keep the filters alive and their strength built up. Right around the time the gouramis spawned two weeks ago, I swapped the little square sponge filter that was in the dots tank for a bigger one. The little sponge must have had a couple of eggs stuck to it.

Whats amazing is that the fry in the filter tank are much, much bigger than the ones in the main tank that were being fed with golden pearls and whatever infusoria lives on the plants etc. They have had nothing to eat in there except for a gunky mulm sitting on the floor of the tank. I'm sure y'all have seen this stuff in neglected tanks. Picture attached. Tonight when I get home I will look at the stuff with the microscope. I have always figured it was dead bacteria or lifeless polysaccharide biofilm leftovers. The only think I ever have put in that tank was ammonia. Every day they have been in there I have subjected them to a blast of hardware store ammonia.

Another interesting thing: the level of nitrate in that tank is super high. Its so far off the chart I had to dilute it by a factor of 10 in order to measure it. Its about 600 ppm!

They say Gouramis are hardy fish. That's an understatement.
Dan

Mugwump

...thanks for the update post.....that is very interesting....and weird.....must be something there  huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

The gouramis are doing well. They sure are nice fish, it seems like they would be more popular.

The baby dots that were born and lived the first week in 600 ppm nitrate are all grown up now, and reached a normal size despite the disagreeable water chemistry.
Dan

LizStreithorst

That is a beautiful male, Dan.  I agree they are not as popular as they should be.  It might because they cost more to raise than than they sell for.  It might be because the ones the pet stores get in are young and have not yet colored up.  You and I are the only people I know who are smitten with them.  Jewel Cichlids are in the same boat.  They are drop dead gorgeous and they will survive in any water.  They can even be kept with Discus until they get that sexual feeling when they become extremely aggressive.  They are worth nothing despite their beauty because they are too easy to breed. 

wallace

Thats the male you sent me Liz. He's always horndoggin the female. The accidental younger ones are in another tank with some HBs.

Here is the pearl gourami picture from the Innes book. I got this book when I was about 8 from my grandmother, who was a fish hobbyist ages ago. Innes didn't like the way color film in the 50's showed the fish, so he had somebody paint B&W pictures of all the popular fish. Then Axelrod stole the pictures for his own copycat book.
Dan

LizStreithorst

what an excellent story.  Your grandmother gave you the book when you were nine and you still refer to it.  A book like that is a collectors item as is the publication you sent me from the International Discus Society.