• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 10:00:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 127
Total: 127

New "Dots"

Started by wallace, March 21, 2017, 04:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

The box from Liz came today with 6 Discus and a pair of Gouramis. The packing and fish are all perfect. The discus are in the semi dark but I got a pic of the gouramis in their tank. This tank was set up to hold a bunch of plants temporarily. I think I'll leave them in there for a while.
Dan

LizStreithorst

Nobody but Dan knows how stressed I was over this shipment.  I tried to take it in stride.  I failed.  The fish arrived on time and fine.  Once again, I can relax and enjoy life.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

..very nice.... |^|....the "dots" will love it in there....... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

ummm...six of my best Discus grow outs were in that box.  I wasn't worried about the worthless Dots ::)

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 21, 2017, 06:11:10 PM
ummm...six of my best Discus grow outs were in that box.  I wasn't worried about the worthless Dots ::)

I was..... ;D....see we tag teamed them for safe arrival..... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

It took them 3 days in the tank. They built a nest and laid eggs and its only 77 degrees in there.
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on March 25, 2017, 08:09:04 PM
It took them 3 days in the tank. They built a nest and laid eggs and its only 77 degrees in there.

....Congrat's.... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

now you're in trouble...What you need to do is buy a 190 gallon container and develop a relationship with a wholesaler.  Not really.  The mother generally eats them once they free swim.

wallace

I'm definitely not pulling mom fish out. They are the only fish I'm not trying to breed and they do it instantly, go figure... Hmmm... the rams might like the fry too.
Dan

LizStreithorst

Mom will eat them before they become visible to the naked eye.  If not, the rams will have a party.  It might just kick start them in to breeding mode.

wallace

Thats what I was thinking, pull the mom and feed some golden pearls powder and grow ram food.

I'm still not seeing any pairing among these rams. What did I do, get all males like I managed to do with the HB angels? The odds of getting 12 males (to oversimplify) is 1 in 4096. None of them show signs of femaleness, either in overall shape or in fatness from eggs. huh
Dan

LizStreithorst

their little mouths are too small for golden pearls.  They need to feed on green water at first.

wallace

That was fast. There are already 100 gourami fry at the surface. I fed them anyway. I have the smallest golden pearl powder, which is 5-50 microns, much smaller than paramecium. That should work, right?
Dan

LizStreithorst

Wow, you have great eyesight!!!  I bet you know why I call them Dots, don't you?  I've only done it the green water way so I don't know if the small golden pearls will work or not.  Dennis is better at figuring that stuff out than I am.  Congratulations grand dad and best of luck growing live food.  Keep an eye on the kids.  You may need to remove dad, as well.

BallAquatics

Chlorella algae, a single cell algae like the algae that makes up green water, ranges in size from 3 to 8 microns.  I've probably raised as many tiny Danios on the 5-50 micron Golden Pearls as I have using green water.  The thing about green water is, you can't over feed with it and ruin your water quality like you can using commercial food.

Dennis