• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Aquatic Plant Farm

Started by Ron Sower, March 10, 2017, 10:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Sooo....I had some leftover plants after setting up my 54g...I didn't want to destroy them so I went to the clubhouse kitchen, wrangled a bunch of rectangular empty ice cream tubs and set up a small outdoor farm...

I put the screens over to prevent mosquitoes from breeding...see that beautiful Java moss that Barb sent me...?

My biggest concern is...what will the heat do to them this summer?...I'm going to look up what the REAL plant farms do.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on March 10, 2017, 10:27:10 AM
..mosquitoes...??

Yep, their bitie little insects Mug.....  probably strangers to the great white north up your way!!!  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 10, 2017, 12:43:34 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on March 10, 2017, 10:27:10 AM
..mosquitoes...??

Yep, their bitie little insects Mug.....  probably strangers to the great white north up your way!!!  LOL

Dennis

...no they're not a mystery up here.....but in the desert?....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

OH those horrible little things.  The only good thing about the Ice, Snow, and cold weather is that there aren't any of those things around now.  I didn't know they had them down there though.  Isn't it too dry in the desert for them to reproduce?
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

I love skeeters.  I set up containers just so I can breed them.  Great fish food!
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on March 10, 2017, 02:25:06 PM
OH those horrible little things.  The only good thing about the Ice, Snow, and cold weather is that there aren't any of those things around now.  I didn't know they had them down there though.  Isn't it too dry in the desert for them to reproduce?

...pretty much my thought too.....lived in So Calif.....and never got bothered by them...
Jon

wallace

There were some mosquitos under the house, so its time to set out a big bucket and grow some treats.

Worst mosquitos I ever saw was up in the Yukon and NW Territories. You'd have 40 of them on your arms at the same time and just wipe them until your arms are slimy with skeeto guts.
Dan

Ron Sower

I think anywhere it's warm and there is some puddle or jar of water, skeeters will be there. And yes, we do have them here.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...Well, a few of the plants have succumbed to the heat, but the Java moss, Amazon Swords, Cyperus helferi and Madagascar lace plant are hanging in there!...

...I cut the center of the lids of the the containers and glued screen onto the inside of them to keep skeeters out...

...now to find some shade for them...maybe under one of the two trees in my orange grove!... 8) 8)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron