• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 01:47:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 115
Total: 115

How many is too many?

Started by LizStreithorst, April 14, 2013, 12:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have 27 adult Angels in a 100 gallon tank.  There are 3 large sponge filters, a hot Magnum, a large piece of driftwood, an Amazon Sword in one of Barb's pots, and a couple of Jon's Bristlenose.  Otherwise the tank is BB. They get a 30% wc every other day.  The tank looks crowded but the Angels are breeding all over the place so they must be happy.  Is this tank at it's limit or can I add more fish?  I have 5 or so very nice ones that I'd like to add if I can.  The Angels are my Half Black hets.  These have black tails only as I sold off the most properly colored ones.  They make a beautiful display especially at night when they group together and swim from one end of the tank to the other, turn in unison and go back to the other side.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

I've always thought of stocking density in terms of the amount of maintenance I want to perform to keep water quality in top shape.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Thanks.  It's just common sense, isn't it?  I will add the fish I want.  I have way more water storage capacity than I'm using. 

BallAquatics

I really think that it is.  That's one of my pet peeves on most aquatic forums.....  some one asks a question, and then you get all these people saying, "well you can do this and you can't do that".  Blaah blaah blaah.  It's been my experience, that you can do almost anything you want, if you are willing to put in the effort to make it work successfully.  And you certainly don't need a lot of hi-tech gadgets, or the latest "snake-oil" concoction of chemicals to aid you along the way.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 14, 2013, 03:24:31 PM
I really think that it is.  That's one of my pet peeves on most aquatic forums.....  some one asks a question, and then you get all these people saying, "well you can do this and you can't do that".  Blaah blaah blaah.  It's been my experience, that you can do almost anything you want, if you are willing to put in the effort to make it work successfully.  And you certainly don't need a lot of hi-tech gadgets, or the latest "snake-oil" concoction of chemicals to aid you along the way.

Dennis

LOL!  Why do you think I asked here rather than on Simply Discus?  The more popular the place becomes, the more idiots with opinions abound.

Mugwump

Dennis is correct...and you're on the right schedule with water changes. The denser the population, the more good water changes are needed. Rule of thumb has always been, one large adult per 10 gal....one adult per 5 gal works ok...after that, do as you like, but change the water more....angels like good clean water for optinum health....
  The fact that they're pairing off, and breeding in there, says all's ok...good job. Liz..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

I totally agree with Dennis.

I jumped into a stocking question a while back when a new fish keeper asked "How many Angels in a 55"? Someone told this person "You can only keep three angelfish in a 55". (You see where this is going, right?) My answer was 500. I never keep more than 500 in a 55. Someone piped up and said "Yeah, but you breed them". I said that wasn't the question. Given the daily water changes, you can keep lots of them in a 55.

Okay, I was trying to be a wise guy then. This time I'll say, Liz, you know what you're doing. 27 is a good number.

Frank The Plumber

I have 40 in a 120. As long as you change the water they will be fine. 40 is about as many as I would go, they get sort of laid back with that many.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

b125killer

Most my tanks are over stocked. I haven't had any problems and my angels are pairing up and breeding in the tanks. When I got my 2.5 gallon the guy asked me what it was going to be used for when I told him I was going to put guppies in it. he looked at me like I was crazy. He told me that the minimum tank size was 20 gallons. My guppies are doing great. I do the water changes every day on there tank. Dennis is right lots of people will tell you what you can and can't do. for the most part I do what I want especially when it come to stocking my tanks. what most people don't understand is all the water changes we do to keep the fish happy and health. 
Scott