• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 07:48:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,309
  • Total Topics: 18,528
  • Online today: 106
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 80
Total: 80

First spawn in almost 2 years.....

Started by BallAquatics, February 16, 2017, 02:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Well, it's been a long time coming, but I finally got motivated enough to setup some fish for spawning.

I've been worrying about loosing some of my stock due to old age and can't really replace many of these fish.  These Danio kyathit, I picked up back in 2009 from Pete Mang on AquaBid.  At the time Pete didn't know what they were so they were listed as "these other cool Danios"  LOL

https://youtu.be/OvxU3MhOaic

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

ilroost

Nice!! Been a long time since I have kept Danios. Just set up a community tank. Tomorrow going to get about a dozen Zebra's. Always loved them for some reason

BallAquatics

Oh Joy!  My tiny kyathit are starting to hatch.  About a dozen eyelash sized fish in the bottom of the egg trap this morning.  A little slow developing as the water is only around 66 or 68?F

Another day or so and I'll give them some green water to start munching on.  LOL

Dennis

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

...Congrat's Dennis.....now grow em strong like bull.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Thanks guys.  Nothing like baby fish to get you fired up.   |^|

The parents of these fry are F1's ( hatched 02/07/2011), from my wild fish I got from Pete Mang back in 2009.

I knew they were getting old, but I didn't realize they were 6 years old until I checked my records this morning.  You guys keep any records of your spawns?

Dennis

waterboy

Congratulations, nice looking fish.  I keep a record of everything on a computer spread sheet.  Adds to the enjoyment of keeping fish as far as I am concerned.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on February 21, 2017, 12:40:12 PM
Thanks guys.  Nothing like baby fish to get you fired up.   |^|

The parents of these fry are F1's ( hatched 02/07/2011), from my wild fish I got from Pete Mang back in 2009.

I knew they were getting old, but I didn't realize they were 6 years old until I checked my records this morning.  You guys keep any records of your spawns?

Dennis

I try to keep records but I've been slipping. I do have a lot of stuff written down. Spreadsheet is the way to go though.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Dang Dennis, You got my heart beating fast for beautiful small fast moving fish rare fish.  Good luck on the hatchlings. 

I've often wished that I had the ability to keep breeding records.  It would be helpful, especially if it had labeled pictures.  I am incapable of doing it.  Some of the most straight forward stuff is over my head huh  I used to think that might be I was stupid!  My way is to select a bunch of baby fish from parents I like, grow them out, and send all but the ones that catch my eye to the LFS as they mature.  It works well for me.

Do you worry about maintaining genetic diversity in these rare fish?  I worry about it in my fish. New blood is easier for me to introduce than is is for you.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 21, 2017, 06:17:22 PM
Do you worry about maintaining genetic diversity in these rare fish?

That's one of my pet peeves Liz.  As is typical for me, I have some non-conformist views about genetic diversity.  I think that is what first brought Stephan and myself together.  He was / is, by trade, Dr. Tanner the geneticist.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

We will have a lot to talk about it around the fire pit.  I want to know all about that.  I believe a strain of Angels turned to shit on me because they lacked outside blood.  I might be wrong, but I can think of no other explanation. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 21, 2017, 07:53:03 PM
We will have a lot to talk about it around the fire pit.

I'm looking forward to it already!!!   ;)

Dennis