• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 16, 2024, 04:48:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,299
  • Total Topics: 18,524
  • Online today: 133
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 132
Total: 132

Worms, worms & more worms

Started by BallAquatics, February 13, 2017, 07:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

I'm on a roll for acquiring worm cultures.  About a 2 months back, I traded my buddy Bob some daphnia for 2 super nice white worm cultures.

Then about a month ago, I got two very nice grindal worm cultures from my friend Pat at the Columbus Killifish Group meeting.

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on February 13, 2017, 07:30:30 PM
....is that corn?  huh

Nope, it's Wardley Pond Food.....  I feed it to the turtles, and the red points, but the worms really go for it too.  The white worm culture has cat kibble in the photo.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on February 13, 2017, 07:35:57 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on February 13, 2017, 07:30:30 PM
....is that corn?  huh

Nope, it's Wardley Pond Food.....  I feed it to the turtles, and the red points, but the worms really go for it too.  The white worm culture has cat kibble in the photo.

Dennis

....now that's neat............ |^|...I knew a guy that swore by trout pond food for his cichlids....angels/discus and all.....keep wanting to try it...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on February 13, 2017, 07:50:32 PM
....now that's neat............ |^|...I knew a guy that swore by trout pond food for his cichlids....angels/discus and all.....keep wanting to try it...

Next time you are over at WalMart pick up a bag.  It's like $2 a pound....  $20 for a 10 pound bag.

Dennis

Rjb3

Ingredients Aquamax  brand Trout chow: Fish meal, poultry by-product meal, dehulled soybean meal, ground corn, spray dried animal blood cells, fish oil, corn gluten meal . . . . . . not a good line up. Way down on the list are vitamin supplements. Don't know how the trout even grow on it. I know a guy that just feeds trout chow to all his fish. He has lots of fish in lots of big tanks. If that's all I could afford to buy cuz I had so many fish, I'd get out of the hobby.

I'm just sayin'.

BallAquatics

Quote from: Rjb3 on February 13, 2017, 08:53:47 PM
..... If that's all I could afford to buy cuz I had so many fish, I'd get out of the hobby.

Sadly, most commercially prepared foods leave something to be desired.  It has improved over the years though.  I remember as a child they would sell turtles for a quarter at the five & dime stores.  The food that came with them was later found to have zero nutritional value and most of the turtles simply starved to death.

Fortunately for me, I used to put my turtle in our swimming pool.  He was great fun and loved to munch on the multitude of insects that end up in ones pool.

Dennis

Rjb3

I feed my worm cultures Top Secret with added sardines and herring.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on February 14, 2017, 10:20:15 AM

..herring ?....
Jon

Rjb3

Yup. Wild Side has a good dose of sardines and herring, too. Just stick with Captain Bob. LOL

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on February 14, 2017, 10:31:36 AM
Yup. Wild Side has a good dose of sardines and herring, too. Just stick with Captain Bob. LOL

...yeppers....great food at great pricing.. |^|
Jon

Rjb3

No chicken by-product meals. No fish meal, or soybean meal, or corn gluten meal in my stuff. Salmon fillets, no heads/guts/bones, purchased at the restaurant supply store near my house. Real cod liver oil, not the whole fish, just the livers. Ya gotta buy the special brand.

Okay, I know I can go on and on, I'm done hy-jacking the worm thread.

wallace

Is Wild Side a flake or a pellet or.. ? I think the wild Ram's might like it but they won't touch anything that looks like a pellet, soaked or not.

Dan

Rjb3

Wild Side is a powdered food. My ram guys also like Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Greenie for their fish.

None of these are on the web site. Shoot me a PM or e-mail and we can chat. I almost got kicked off Aquaria Central for saying something similar to a guy once. I don't go there anymore. LOL

BallAquatics

Quote from: Rjb3 on February 14, 2017, 10:20:15 AM

I'll give that a try Bob.  I've still got Top Secret in the freezer....  bought that pound and then things went south around here so it's never been used.

You don't have to worry about hijacking one of my threads.  Your knowledge of fish food is greatly appreciated.   |^|

Dennis