• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 11:50:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 122
Total: 123

6 hours in.....

Started by BallAquatics, January 18, 2017, 01:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rjb3

When my uncle Al died he had a 55 Chevy. My aunt asked if anybody wanted anything. I said I wanted the 55. His son, my cousin, said he wanted it. I thought Okay it was his dads. You guessed it. He sold it.

Ron Sower

Quote from: Rjb3 on January 18, 2017, 08:24:52 PM
When my uncle Al died he had a 55 Chevy. My aunt asked if anybody wanted anything. I said I wanted the 55. His son, my cousin, said he wanted it. I thought Okay it was his dads. You guessed it. He sold it.

I learned to drive on a 55 Chevy...3 in the tree...2-tone tan and white....It was a wonderful car...It was the first brand new car Dad had ever bought...We went to Calico Rock, Arkansas to visit my Mom's family and he and Mr. King (the dealer in town) drove somewhere to pick it up and brought it back to my Aunt's home and they had a rattlesnake in the trunk that they had run over....I was probably about 10 at the time... I can still remember the new car smell that first time...we went home in it to Roanoke, VA....

WOW...! You folks really trigger some good memories for me on this forum...! :)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on January 18, 2017, 11:37:35 PM
Quote from: Rjb3 on January 18, 2017, 08:24:52 PM

I learned to drive on a 55 Chevy...3 in the tree...2-tone tan and white....It was a wonderful car...It was the first brand new car Dad had ever bought...We went to Calico Rock, Arkansas to visit my Mom's family and he and Mr. King (the dealer in town) drove somewhere to pick it up and brought it back to my Aunt's home and they had a rattlesnake in the trunk that they had run over....I was probably about 10 at the time... I can still remember the new car smell that first time...we went home in it to Roanoke, VA....

WOW...! You folks really trigger some good memories for me on this forum...! :)

...My Mom had a 55 convertible....and in those days, driving vacations were the 'norm'...it was a great and fun time..later she got a 59 Pontiac Catalina convertible just like this one....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Quote from: Mugwump on January 18, 2017, 05:13:18 PM
..likely have to replace all the rubber lines and tires, etc....and a few gaskets too..........time takes it toll quickly when they sit...

..Jan's aunt had a 62 chevy II....11,000 original miles when she passed on in the mid/late 1970's...just sitting in her garage...lucky if she drove it a few miles a week, she lived dang near the downtown of a town of 500?....maybe?....her uncles fought over it...the one that got it just turned and sold it....idiot..
It was obciously 'mint'....

I had a Chevy II. First car I ever bought brand new.  Paid $2200 for it.  It even was famous, with its picture in the paper.  Where I worked at the time was next to a run down part of Milwaukee.  I always parked on the street.  One day the local newspaper did a big article on all the dilapidated homes in the area, complete with pictures. And there was my little Chevy II dead center and prominent.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

BallAquatics

All cleared out around the bikes!  I've got about a month's worth of trash pickup to start staging now.  Big pile of scrap iron too.  Probably ten or twenty dollars worth of pop cans.  The aluminum should cover the furnace fuel oil.

A half day tomorrow, and I should be all set for a wash outside on Saturday.  Need to remember to take a tire guage with me in the morning to air up the tires before moving them out side.

I'm starting to get excited about this..... can you tell  LOL

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 19, 2017, 04:36:23 PM
All cleared out around the bikes!  I've got about a month's worth of trash pickup to start staging now.  Big pile of scrap iron too.  Probably ten or twenty dollars worth of pop cans.  The aluminum should cover the furnace fuel oil.

A half day tomorrow, and I should be all set for a wash outside on Saturday.  Need to remember to take a tire guage with me in the morning to air up the tires before moving them out side.

I'm starting to get excited about this..... can you tell  LOL

Dennis

...those tires need a good checking out before you ride......tire rubber sitting a spell isn't good thing.....likely square on the bottom too....br careful, my friend...seriously
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on January 19, 2017, 05:01:08 PM
...those tires need a good checking out before you ride......tire rubber sitting a spell isn't good thing.....likely square on the bottom too....br careful, my friend...seriously

Thank you Jon.  Yeah, no way am I going to go anywhere on tires that are 30+ years old.  Once I get them in running condition, I'll load 'em up on the trailer and take them in for some new tires.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 19, 2017, 05:10:37 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on January 19, 2017, 05:01:08 PM

Thank you Jon.  Yeah, no way am I going to go anywhere on tires that are 30+ years old.  Once I get them in running condition, I'll load 'em up on the trailer and take them in for some new tires.

Dennis

|^|
Jon

wallace

My Dad came home one day with a '64 Thunderbird. Candy Apple Red, he said it was. It had up & down window buttons and all of us kids were sitting in the car making the windows go up and down. He bought it on a whim and my Mom was mad about it ... we only had it for a year or so.
Dan

Mugwump

LOL....my Dad came home with 57 Olds J2 w/tri power...3 three Rochester 2 barrels ...what a car....year later we had an 58 Olds wagon....LOL

...later in life, around 1960, he lapsed again in Ca and bought a red Alfa Romero two seater rag top....LOL...lasted about a year.... |^|
Jon

BallAquatics

Well, back from Mom's.  Got both the bikes washed.  I didn't do a really thorough job, I was just trying to get the grim off before starting to work on them.  None?the?less they cleaned up pretty well.

I bet the tires on the 550 don't have 1000 miles on them.  As I recall, we put new rubber on it and Terri was going to start riding on her own.

It's gonna take a lot of work getting these two back on the road.  I'll probably start with the 550 as it looks to be the quickest to get going.

Dennis

Mugwump

I'll bet with limited effort...they'll fire right up.... |^|...had the urge to try it yet  huh  :D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on January 21, 2017, 01:50:38 PM
I'll bet with limited effort...they'll fire right up....

I hope you're right!  I need to get them both a new battery before they would run.  They aren't like some of my way old bikes that had a mag and would fire without a battery.

I'll probably do that with the 550 next week.  Get some fresh gas and wash out the tank, then trickle some into the carbs and see if the gaskets will swell back up and seal.  The 550 has a kick start so I know it turns over just fine...  the CBX doesn't have a kick start.

The 550 also only has a disc brake on the front while the CBX has them front and rear.  I know they all need tore down and cleaned up before they will operate correctly.

Dennis