• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 05:20:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 203
Total: 204

6 hours in.....

Started by BallAquatics, January 18, 2017, 01:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Well after about 6 hours of cleaning spread out over the past 2 days, I've uncovered the bikes!!!

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I thought that you were just kidding when that you would have to dig for days to find them.  What are they each?  Are they old.  Don't suppose you own you own one of those BMW's with the cylinders that come out the side?  I always thought they were a cool looking touring bike.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 18, 2017, 02:07:26 PM
I thought that you were just kidding when that you would have to dig for days to find them.  What are they each?  Are they old.  Don't suppose you own you own one of those BMW's with the cylinders that come out the side?  I always thought they were a cool looking touring bike.

The blue one started out as a 550cc, but when we modified it for drag racing we punched it out quite a bit.  It is a 1974 model.

The silver one is 1100cc.  Terri and I found out very quickly that the small one just wouldn't cut it for both of us to travel any distance on.  It is a 1979 model.  In 80 - 81 we put over 15000 miles on it.

I've had my eye on a racy bright red BMW over in Columbus.  I'd love to have it, but I need to get these back on the road first.  They have been in storage in Pop's garage since late fall 1987.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Oh my word, you are going to have a blast getting them going.  What is the model of the racy bright red BMW?  I haven't seen a European bike down here for as long as I can remember.  It's all either Harley's or something Japanese, usually Honda's.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 18, 2017, 03:08:27 PM
What is the model of the racy bright red BMW?

It's an R100S Liz.  It's an older model too, 1977.  Built to last and travel mile after mile.....

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 18, 2017, 03:15:32 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 18, 2017, 03:08:27 PM
What is the model of the racy bright red BMW?

It's an R100S Liz.  It's an older model too, 1977.  Built to last and travel mile after mile.....

It makes my heart go pit-a-pat.

Dennis

BallAquatics

Yeah, mine too Liz.

That silver 6 cylinder, dual overhead cam, 24 valve Honda does too.  Lots of good memories with it, and it will really fly... one up or two!!!

About the only down-side to it is that it could be problematic getting it worked on far from home.  I guess that's what U-Haul is for!   ;D

Dennis

LizStreithorst

OMG is't a six?  Yes it could haul a u-haul full of tools and parts, but that takes all the fun out of it huh

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 18, 2017, 03:41:42 PM
Yes it could haul a u-haul full of tools and parts.....

LOL  No, I mean, if worst came to worst and I couldn't get it repaired out on the road somewhere, I'd rent a U-Haul and haul it home.

Knock on wood, it has never given me any trouble in the past.  I like to do my own maintenance and I always made sure it was in good working order before going on a trip.

Dennis

BallAquatics

It's forecast to be almost 60 here over the weekend.  With a bit of luck, I'll have a clear path by then and can roll them both outside for a good wash while the weather is nice.

Pop's garage is long over-due for a clean up.  I've been telling Mom I'd get to it ever since he passed.  She will certainly be surprised when she gets back from Florida.  It will make a nice place to restore the bikes too.  It's 42 feet deep, built into the side of a hill behind the house, and 27 feet wide.  It's got a 50000 btu furnace to warm it up in the winter.  Being half buried, it doesn't take much to keep it warm.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

You have it made!  Snap a pic of it after you give it it's first bath.  I want to see what it looks like.

Mugwump

..likely have to replace all the rubber lines and tires, etc....and a few gaskets too..........time takes it toll quickly when they sit...

..Jan's aunt had a 62 chevy II....11,000 original miles when she passed on in the mid/late 1970's...just sitting in her garage...lucky if she drove it a few miles a week, she lived dang near the downtown of a town of 500?....maybe?....her uncles fought over it...the one that got it just turned and sold it....idiot..
It was obciously 'mint'....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Imagine fighting over something like that just to go off and sell it...

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 18, 2017, 05:19:58 PM
Imagine fighting over something like that just to go off and sell it...

,, they were up near Iuka....near Tupelo....Jan's g'parents up that way too....Belmont?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Wherever they were from they were greedy and tasteless.  If I had something that old in mint condition I would dote on it.  Look at all I've done for Charlotte and she's young in comparison.