• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 07:32:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 260
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 251
Total: 251

Spawning report! Not a betta, but an anabantid

Started by Ron Sower, April 07, 2013, 01:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Hi All!

A Sunday morning news break!   A new species for me!

About 3 weeks ago I purchased 4 Sparkling Gouramis from an LFS.  They caught my attention with their movement style and delicate, intricate colorations.  I set them up in a 1.5g globe that Linda had used for potpourii, no aeration or filtration, added some old fluourite substrate, vals, L. repens, frogbit, and placed on a lower bookshelf with an incandescent light.  Fed them microworms (thank you Lori and Aron for the starter culture), flake food, frozen daphnia, and decapsulated BSEs. Temp around 75-78 daytime and 68-70 nighttime, heated by the incandescent light.

Today I have 10 -15 fry!  I have now moved the tank to an area which will receive only daylight from a skylight over our fireplace and the temp will stay fairly steady.  I don't know what the temp will settle out to be at the moment because it will be sitting on our tv cable box.

A happy Sunday morning in my home!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Congrats !...that's a pleasant surprise that'll make your day.... ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Congratulations.....interesting occurance based on the set up.  Keep us posted. :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Ron Sower

Interesting occurrence???  I thought they pretty much lived in stagnant areas with plants covering water's surface...!  That's why I set them up that way! I think maybe I'll go read some more about them!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

It's always a good day when you find baby fish!  Congratulations Ron.

Dennis

PaulineMi

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 07, 2013, 03:44:50 PM
Interesting occurrence???  I thought they pretty much lived in stagnant areas with plants covering water's surface...!  That's why I set them up that way! I think maybe I'll go read some more about them!

I agree.  I was thinking more along the lines of how there are usually high tech set ups and much written about how to breed various species.  You did everything right.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Ron Sower

I got lucky!  And I define luck as ''Preparation meeting up with Opportunity''.  I'll take luck any day over ability!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

b125killer

Scott

ilroost

Mir

Awesome! Congrats! :)
The plants are good but I'd move them to a bigger setup if I were you.
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Not so well.  My little experiment of leaving the fry in the globe and removing the parents left what I thought would be plenty of room and micro-organisms to feed the fry.  I think there are about 5 left.  The are very hard to see amongst the plants.  They are about 1/4 inch long.

The parents are doing well.  They are in a 5g SpecV holding tank.  Eventually I will reset the tank in the room with the rest of our fish.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

That's too bad..try and snag some vinegar eels somewhere.....Aron may have a culture??
Jon