• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 04:47:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 166
Total: 166

Well, I found out...

Started by Ron Sower, January 12, 2017, 10:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 16, 2017, 08:28:02 PM
... But I'm not a plant person ...

Same here.  The majority of my plants are there to encourage the fish to reproduce.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

When I planted the 125 in my shop over 8 years ago I put down a layer of years old goat poo from the old barn and covered it with gravel.  The water stayed brown  until I introduced a shit load of baby Angels.  After 3 days the water was clear and the Angels were in hog heaven.  This is the group I choose my HB breeders from.  Those fish did well by me until one day years and generations later, they didn't.

The only thing I can figure is that their some dormant microorganisms in that old dry goat poo that came alive after being exposed to water and that they made a great food for that multitude of baby Angels.  Who knows huh
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

...a few days ago I went by a Petsmart and decided to get a few plants...yesterday I started planting them with about 5" of water covering the substrate...not nearly enough plants...but it's a start...

...do any of you have any spares you'd like to sell off?...it may not be the right timing for some of you in the really cold temp areas...

...for now the tank will be moderate lighting & no CO2...I'm going to pull out my equipment gondola from under the deck to locate some more lighting and filtration...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I can send you some Amazon Sword babies.

Ron Sower

I would love them...let me know when you ship so I can watch for the closely in the mail.  Thanks!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

UPDATE....

...did the original planting and 'scaping as it were a week or so ago... I received very nice Amazons from Liz, and enough Java Moss to choke a horse from Barb! |^|..Thanks to you both, ladies...then some of my club members sent me plants too...so that's nice...

...after going to the LFS in Tucson on Sat, I have fish and wood for 'scaping....and yesterday, I began 'scaping...but I'm not really pleased 100%...Not enough time to work on it today, so, tomorrow I'll go at it again...should have had the wood before I started originally...oh well wfwf

...once done, I'll post pics... 8)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

In determining how much bending over and lifting I'm going to be in for by cleaning the Filstar canister, I decided to put a shelf in the cabinet...did that before lunch and just finished cutting the tubes to length and plugging in the filter...did a 20% WC, and now I'm gonna clear out all the misc. stuff that I don't need right now, put it in the gondola under the deck and head to the pool... |^| mim 8) 8) 8)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on March 08, 2017, 02:40:44 PM
In determining how much bending over and lifting I'm going to be in for by cleaning the Filstar canister, I decided to put a shelf in the cabinet...did that before lunch and just finished cutting the tubes to length and plugging in the filter...did a 20% WC, and now I'm gonna clear out all the misc. stuff that I don't need right now, put it in the gondola under the deck and head to the pool... |^| mim 8) 8) 8)

....best idea so far.....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on March 08, 2017, 05:26:45 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on March 08, 2017, 02:40:44 PM

....best idea so far.....LOL
...and it was good! |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...picked up 16 neon tetras yesterday coming back from Casa Grande at PetSmart...only place anywhere closer than an hour to get any fish stuff...only lost 2 so far...also got 2 more Panda Cories...

My apologies if I've already posted this in another thread...I'm getting older by the day, you know... 8)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on March 11, 2017, 04:08:09 PM
...picked up 16 neon tetras yesterday coming back from Casa Grande at PetSmart...only place anywhere closer than an hour to get any fish stuff...only lost 2 so far...also got 2 more Panda Cories...

My apologies if I've already posted this in another thread...I'm getting older by the day, you know... 8)

...older ??....what is this word 'older' ? w!w
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Ron, have you not yet figured out that we're all either old farts or close to old fartism.  Dan is still a relative Spring chicken.  Don't know about our mystery member, Tony.

wallace

Wife says I'm an old fart.
Dan

Mugwump

Jon

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron