• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 06:35:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 217
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 183
Total: 183

Well, I found out...

Started by Ron Sower, January 12, 2017, 10:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...that having my heart set on a new 92g corner bowfront tank was not going to turn out well...apparently the company isn't making them any more...

...sooo, there is store in Tempe that sells used equipment and tanks...apparently they get a later start in their day than I do because I just called them and no answer yet....well it's not quite 10AM..I'll give it a half hour and see if they answer and might have a 92g...

...in another note of disappointment....a few days ago there was a 54g, stand and glass cover on CL down here for $100...I didn't know what I know now...crap... should have bought it just for backup...  :'(...it was only a few months old too....  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wallace

A couple of years ago I got a 75g tank from craigslist for $100. It came with a box full of what looked like pure junk, tangled airlines and other odds & ends. When I got home and rummaged through it I found a $200 pH controller. It was her brother's tank and she didn't know what the stuff was worth. Tank doesn't leak. I don't usually come out ahead on deals of any kind, but this time was an exception.

I don't mess with CO2 but its a good pH meter.

... I forgot to mention it came with a nice cherry stand from when they made stands right.
Dan

Ron Sower

I've bought a lot of aquaria and supplies on CL when I was building up my hobby.  I watch it constantly.  I've gotten some really nice stuff too.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

I quit waiting for the perfect tank to show up and bought a 54g corner this afternoon. Now to locate some Turface, and if not that some oil dry for substrate. It is sitting empty in my room now and looks pretty good!  As soon as I locate the substrate I will begin planting. I think I'm gonna order a tall corner filter from Stephan. Probably won't have to replace it for the rest of my life...!!! |^| :D |^| :D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on January 13, 2017, 08:04:32 PM
I quit waiting for the perfect tank to show up and bought a 54g corner this afternoon. Now to locate some Turface, and if not that some oil dry for substrate. It is sitting empty in my room now and looks pretty good!  As soon as I locate the substrate I will begin planting. I think I'm gonna order a tall corner filter from Stephan. Probably won't have to replace it for the rest of my life...!!! |^| :D |^| :D

...that's swell.....pics as you progress along ?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I really like the depth a corner tank offers.  Great for watching fish!

Dennis

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on January 14, 2017, 05:38:28 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on January 13, 2017, 08:04:32 PM

...that's swell.....pics as you progress along ?

I will... |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 14, 2017, 08:32:12 AM
I really like the depth a corner tank offers.  Great for watching fish!

Dennis

I like to build the substrate up in the front of tne tank and slope it to the back corner.  When it's planted and you stand in front of it, it's like standing on the bank of a river, pond or lake and looking out toward the depths...!!   Love the effect..!   Not quite the same with a rectangular tank with a flat front...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

..got Saf-T-Sorb yesterday for substrate...It's montmorillonite clay and as I understand it, it will absorb some nutrients from the water column and plant roots can get to it...I've used it before with excellent results...also Turface works well, but I couldn't find it yesterday...Now to carve out some time to rinse it and put it in the tank...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

I've used the $4.00 bags of WalMart cat litter with good success too.  100-percent natural ground clay with NO added fragrances or scents  I think all the baked clays work about the same.....

Dennis

Ron Sower

Roy Sletvolt in GSAS tested the clays and I just picked it up from him. Always had excellent plant growth. Then I started using  Seachem's fert regimen and they did even better. I will continue with the Seachem regimen, and eventually start using CO2 and cut out the Exel.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

P4Angels

I did a couple videos when we set up a tank using Saf-T-Sorb.    The trick is to get all the dust out of it.   I would recommend it as an alternative for substraight.  Great stuff!

here is the play list if anyone is interested:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0NlnVYdBWnqd1Ioah0UbUJI9X1LeBOOF
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

BallAquatics

Capt'n Bob has ?Plant-Tastic? substrate for your planted tanks.  http://www.captainbobsfishtales.com/?page_id=225

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I've used my Captain's stuff.  I was happy with it.  The plants did well.  But I'm not a plant person so although I thought it was good I don't have anything to compare it to.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

The last time I did a planted tank I put 1.5" of peat down and covered it with gravel. The plants are doing great although after 2 years I'm sure the peat is more like potting soil than anything else. I'm not a plant person either, I stick with plants that do well - amazons, anubias, water sprite - the easy stuff.
Dan