• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

I didn't think it would work...

Started by wsantia1, January 01, 2017, 07:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

...but I needed to get rid of a musty smell in my basement and I read somewhere that a cut up onion will clear out that musty smell overnight and will not leave an onion smell. Well since I had no company coming over last night I decided to give it a try.

I cut up a big white onion in half and put one half on one side of the basement (1600 sq. ft.) and the other half on the other side and left it overnight. When I went down there this morning there is no musty or onion smell in the basement at all.

Just a clean smell the way I like it. Of course I have to remove that onion before it starts spoiling but it does seem to work. I wonder how long it will last.

I have a dehumidifier down in the basement and while it seems to be keeping things dry the musty smell popped up after I switched from A/C to heat a couple of weeks ago. Maybe the dehumidifier needs to be replaced for a bigger one. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 01, 2017, 07:10:58 AM
...but I needed to get rid of a musty smell in my basement and I read somewhere that a cut up onion will clear out that musty smell overnight and will not leave an onion smell. Well since I had no company coming over last night I decided to give it a try.

I cut up a big white onion in half and put one half on one side of the basement (1600 sq. ft.) and the other half on the other side and left it overnight. When I went down there this morning there is no musty or onion smell in the basement at all.

Just a clean smell the way I like it. Of course I have to remove that onion before it starts spoiling but it does seem to work. I wonder how long it will last.

I have a dehumidifier down in the basement and while it seems to be keeping things dry the musty smell popped up after I switched from A/C to heat a couple of weeks ago. Maybe the dehumidifier needs to be replaced for a bigger one. huh

..a dryer sheet in front of the humidifier..... |^|....and/or in front of heat vent.....incense works too.... :D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on January 01, 2017, 07:17:18 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on January 01, 2017, 07:10:58 AM

..a dryer sheet in front of the humidifier..... |^|....and/or in front of heat vent.....incense works too.... :D

A dryer sheet may work on the dehumidifier but I don't want to burn incense while I am trying to sell the house. Sounds too much like a coverup. lol The onion trick left no smell at all.
Willie

BallAquatics

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 01, 2017, 07:28:39 AM
The onion trick left no smell at all.

Sounds like a great tip Willie.  I'll have to file this away for future reference.....

Dennis

Mugwump

I'll be trying the onion trick too...... |^|

..did you peel it or just cut it?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

People have done that for years.

Before his famous march to the sea, General Sherman wanted onions. President Lincoln delivered. There were used to season their food and sterilize wounds.

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on January 01, 2017, 07:48:14 AM

I peeled and cut it.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 01, 2017, 08:25:14 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on January 01, 2017, 07:48:14 AM

I peeled and cut it.

..thanks...got it  |^|
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Rjb3 on January 01, 2017, 07:57:51 AM
.....they were used to season their food.....

I watched too much Justin Wilson...  I can't cook without onions  LOL

https://youtu.be/wWT_nl6OI2E

Dennis

Rjb3

Don't ya love the way he says onion?

waterboy

Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

wallace

I'll have to try that in my truck. A lot of stuff has been spilled in there over the years. Coffee, milk, beer. The new car smell went away 25 years ago after a few hundred packs of cigs.

Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on January 01, 2017, 12:47:04 PM
I'll have to try that in my truck. A lot of stuff has been spilled in there over the years. Coffee, milk, beer. The new car smell went away 25 years ago after a few hundred packs of cigs.

....a bunch of fresh coffee grounds in an old cut off foot of panty hose will freshen it up too...
Jon